Criminal Investigation must be revised time and again on a regular basis as it’s a dynamic process. With the development in society and advancement in technology, the use of advanced technology in committing different forms of crime also has changed as a regular process. In this regard, the field of crime investigation is becoming more challenging because of the increase in crime pattern of criminals and the speedy expansion of criminal networks. In analyzing crime cases over the past few years, crime has increased numerically and various complications have been added to the investigation of crime.
Utilizing the resources and manpower available Nepal Police has successfully carried out the responsibility of crime investigation till now. However, in a changing perspective, some of the weaknesses and disruptions in the Investigation System have affected the investigating capabilities of the entire organization. Facing the challenges and complexities seen in the field of crime prevention and investigation, it have been much more important to build a powerful means of conserving and utilizing police professionalism, excellence and energy.
In line with the prevailing belief, the nature and methods of crime investigation should be refined, modified and made dynamic along with the changing perspective. The existing investigative forms, mechanisms and systems of the Nepal Police should also be modified in accordance with the rules of change. New thinking and style in Crime Investigation can only be established by exploring and utilizing the vast potential for professional excellence.
The concept of Central Investigation Bureau has been emerged in Nepal Police on the basis of high evaluation of the belief that the old style and mechanism should be modernized and highly scientific.
Against this backdrop, under Article 4 (1) of the directive principles, policies and obligations of Part-1 of the Constitution of Nepal (1), the main objective of the State is to maintain justice, fundamental rights and human rights values and justice. The preamble of Police Act 1 states that "Nepal Police Force has been formed as it is necessary for Nepal Police to maintain crime and make it a viable means of preventing and detecting crime".
Even in the policies and programs of the Government of Nepal, strengthening the security mechanism to control crime, anarchy and impunity is clearly mentioned, making the security personnel accountable, fair, professional and efficient.
Why Central Investigation Bureau in Nepal Police?
- To solve the shortcomings and challenges of crime investigation sector and to manage them scientifically.
- To establish a Police Investigative System and mechanism in line with changing perspectives and feelings of the general public.
- To develop the professional competence of Nepal Police and use the energy as per the changing environment.
- Organize and integrate efforts to discourage and control crime and criminal tendencies.
- To comply with the rules of development and conversion of investigative activism of the Nepal Police.
- To develop a sophisticated and scientific method of investigation of crime of Nepal Police as per international norms to fulfill the commitments and assumptions of the Government committed in the constitution, Police Act, Government policies and programs.
- To maintain easy coordination in crime control with other countries in relation to crime prevention, crime detection.
- To regularize and manage the effectiveness of the police service by specializing and commercializing the police service.
- To implement the basic concepts of legal state practically by discouraging and controlling crime and criminal activity.
- To create an environment that protects and promotes the fundamental rights of citizens guaranteed by the constitution of Nepal.
Credibility, Impartiality, Bravery.
The ritual of this bureau will be to create a civilized and prosperous society by conducting effective investigation of complex and profound nature criminal offenses, contributing to compliance, protection and promotion of prevailing Laws and Acts of Nepal.
- Investigating complex and profound nature crimes, as well as public concern cases,
- To effectively investigate human rights violations and special crimes,
- Identifying organized criminals involved in crimes of a serious nature and discouraging Impunity,
- Protecting research against unfair temptations, non-commercial effects, pressures and functionless situations, and
- Institutional Capability and Technological Capability enhancement in Investigation.